Thursday, January 24, 2008

Religion Class

I'm taking a Book of Mormon class from bro. Kory Kunz this semester. Its on the second half of the book of mormon. The interesting thing I learned today is about a scriptural chiasmus. (sorry if I am not using the word correctly. Its still new to me) Defined: Chiasmus is often found in ancient Hebrew writing and is an arrangement of words or ideas placed in a certain order and then repeated in reverse order. Concentrating attention on the main point of passage by placing it at the central turning point of the text. I have heard of this before in other places in the book of mormon and one in Genesis (1:27) but the one here that is listed below is from the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon. Its pretty amazing. Just wanted to share this today. (I got this from bro. Kunz power point from his lecture) The cool thing is how the point has its focus on Jesus Christ.


a- My son, give ear to my words (v1)
b- Keep the commandments and ye shall prosper in the land (v1)
c- Do as I have done (v2)
d- Remember the captivity of our fathers (v2)
e- They were in bondage (v2)
f- He surely did deliver them (v2)
g- Trust in God (v3)
h- Supported in trials, troubles, and afflictions (v3)
i- I know this no of myself but of God (v4)
j- Born of God (v5)
k- I sought to destroy the church (v6-9)
l- My limbs were paralyzed (v10)
m- Fear of being in the presence of God (v14-15)
n- Pains of a damned soul (v16)
o- Harrowed up by the memory of sins (v17)
p- I remembered Jesus Christ, a son of God (v17)
p- I cried, Jesus, son of God (v17)
o- Harrowed up by the memory of sins no more (v19)
n- Joy as exceeding as was the pain (v20)
m- Long to be in the presence of God (v22)
l- My limbs received strength again (v23)
k- I labored to bring souls to repentance (v24)
j- Born of God (v26)
i- Therefore my knowledge is of God (v26)
h- Supported under trials, troubles, and afflictions (v27)
g- Trust in him (v27)
f- He will deliver me (v27)
e- As God brought our fathers out of bondage and captivity (v28-29)
d- Retain in remembrance their captivity (v28-29)
c- Know as I do know (v30)
b- Keep the commandments and ye shall prosper in the land (v30)
a- This according to his word (v30)

2 comments:

CF Is Not Forever said...

Cool that you have a blog - nice to hear from a friend of Franks! I love Bro. Kunz! He was my EFY director many years ago and I bought his CD because he is awesome! I bet his class is very interesting. Also thanks for the buffalo sauce recipe - love it!

keilah said...

Hey Beth!!! I am so glad that you left a comment on my blog:) How the heck are you?? What is Tina up to?? Funny story-Jake and Ben were wrestling buddies and Jake would take Tina and I to DQ to "stalk" Ben. Tell Jake that we ended up together and I bet he would laugh. Keep in touch.