Sunday, November 16, 2008

Spandex is not for everyone... (written by Katie Bills)

The week that contains November 11 is also referred to as the Week of Katie in honor of Celebration of Katie, 11/11, Katie Bills' birthday. This year, to close off week of Katie, Beth Benson and I spent the day at the outlets in Jeffersonville and then the fab mall of Easton in Cbus. While we wandered from store to store, considering several different options for my future jeans purchase, we first were cornered by the ladies at the Benefit cosmetics counter and got a lovely makeover. Beth in blush is a little much and Katie with bronzer takes some getting used to, but those women were pretty funny. How can you not like people who are selling you Bad Girl Lash mascara and the Primpcess. Love that! From there, we wandered to Express. Now, I love Express because the Editor pant is the most brilliant design of dress pants I have ever tried on. They're magical! Like the traveling pants; they look good on anyone. Express at Easton is a huge store and there were so many party/rocker chic outfits. There are certain things I can't resist. One is the combination of creamy caramel and milk chocolate, but the other is the opportunity to try on an outfit I would NEVER wear in public. On a dare from Beth, I grabbed a pair of plether pants, a mock turtleneck with a crazy pattern, and a leather jacket. I rock plether, as seen here.

But I digress...let me get to the core of this post. After choosing my new jeans, Beth saw a pair of sequined spandex pants.
"Katie! Why didn't you try these ones?!"

"You know, Beth, I would totally wear those if I had awesome boots that came up to my knee and a shirt that covered my bum."

"I totally saw a girl the other day wearing just leggings. No long shirt to cover. So weird! Reminds me of the eighties."

(pause)

Just at that moment, a group of girls walked in and one girl was wearing a pair of black leggings, a plaid shirt, and Ugg boots. What is this?!? As we walked out of Express, we saw at least 3 more women scantily clad in spandex and then the stretchy pants continued in the Easton quad. Now, when I lived in Bellbrook as a child, bikers abounded. Not the type who have too much hair, lots of leather, and Harley's. This type of biker pedals his feet while wearing spandex for its aerodynamic properties. I learned early in my life that spandex is not for everyone no matter what function it takes, and I remebered that Friday in Easton. Girls, leggings should be worn sparingly. And even then, layering is good. Very good. For everyone.

No comments: