Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thoughts

I might not relay this story 100% accurately... so if you were there, just dont correct me ok. Just my perspective is really all you will get here on this blog... *unless its that time of year that katie posts*

Tonight after getting home from my anatomy review class I chilled with my mom for a bit then went to visit with some friends. I love it when you get a room full of people with different thoughts on the same subject. It can get tense at times....but sometimes, such as tonight it took a turn for a little bit that I thought was interesting. It started out by talking about how we compare ourselves to each other. Guys mostly in the sense that they want to be other guys (competition) and girls just want to BE other girls...(this is all just general...it obviously doesn't hold true with each and every guy and gal) It was all very general talking and then New Friend said a few things that made me think. Or maybe just reminded me of where I stand with my Father in Heaven. He was talking about babysitting for his nephews and how it made him think about becoming a parent someday. Just thinking about the lessons you can learn about being a father from kids and how to compare that with our relationship with God. He got to watch his nephews one day and everything was good until he heard the 4 yr old scream really loud and then he heard a door slam and he went to go see what was wrong. The 4 yr old was in the bathroom crying and freaking out because he had accidentally wet his pants. He knew how much this was something his father hated. Or maybe he knew it would displease him. Now in reality that lil boys father got home and heard about it and said eh, no big deal. It happens. He just wants him to know that its not good. He didn't stop loving him or even punish him because of what happened. Maybe all this isn't a complete and perfect parallel but even still....He did demonstrate a good point to me. That lil boy has stopped wetting his pants. He originally wanted to make sure he did what was right and good and didnt want to make his father upset because he knew how much he hated it when he peed his pants. Sad to think this 4 yr old was so hard on himself whenever all he needed was a friend, (or uncle) to help him clean up the mess. His father just taught him what was right and tried to do it because he loved him. I guess I think I need to take a look inward and recheck motives for myself. AND try to just clean up the mess after my mistakes and realize Heavenly Father wont hate me because I make mistakes. I just need to try to keep doing better and not make it a habit of bad patterns. Thats totally it. Its repentance. Who thought a kid wetting his pants could ever turn into such a lesson. It was just interesting...I'm not even sure I wrote down all the major points here, but seriously....It was good...and totally off the cuff. I know he didnt come over planning to tell that story. It really was just his testimony. Almost got a lil teary eyed telling the story. Came from the heart. I needed a good -make me think- story/lesson tonight. Thanks New Friend. I will do better. I know I can change my ways.

1 comment:

Stacey Kirchner said...

Parent's also need to be reminded that their children are Heavenly Fathers children and that He loves them no matter what, so we need to do so as well. I know I need to step back sometimes and re-evaluate the situation and say, is this going to matter in the long run, or what would my Heavenly Father do? Obviously I'm not as hard on my children when I do that.